Wednesday 14 August 2013

While the Cat's Away...

Image by Alexander Briel Perez
Yesterday, my husband made a split-second decision to go to the West Coast for an emergency business meeting. I helped him get clothes ready, he made a run to the store for shaving cream (although why he couldn’t take my travel size can is silly—so what if it smells like baby powder?!). Hours later, he was gone.

Don’t get me wrong…I love my husband. We both work from home, and while that might make many women shudder at the mere thought of spending 24/7 with their significant other, we do very well, having found plenty of outlets to get the hell away from each other when necessary.

But this is different. And as soon as he announced his travel plans, I began making my list of what I’d do while he was gone. I’m a night owl. I will use this time to my advantage, like maybe, but not limited to:

Read in bed. With the light on all night if I want. The compulsion to smother complaining husbands momentarily eliminated.

Eat in bed. Something with crumbs. They’re my crumbs, I don’t mind them.

Watch TV with the volume turned up so I can hear it and I don’t need to rely on closed captioning to know what’s going on. God forbid I should wake up HRH.
             
Go to a movie. Or two. I love going to movies and will see anything except horror. I will make good use of this movie time. Watch me.

No cooking. Unless it’s something I want. I like to call this Fend For Yourself Night. You want it? You make it.

Write something. Or not. It’s my call.


What are your favorite things to do while the Cat’s away? Give me more ideas!                                                                                                                                                              

7 comments:

Mary Quast said...

Get up in the middle of the night and have a tall glass of chocolate milk. :) Or pull an all-nighter with a good book.

Marci Baun said...

Well, as my child is still too young to fend for herself yet, I haven't thought of things I might do if I had no responsibilities. Okay, that's not true. When I attend a con, I am up late, up early, visiting with lots of people, and never concerned that someone might be upset because I am chatting and chatting and chatting.

Beth Caudill said...

Because I have two kids at home, I go to bed at 10pm when he is gone. Mostly for everyone's sanity because I won't get to sleep late (ie, to 7am) when he isn't here.


Valerie Mann said...

Mary, you do know how to live life on the edge, LOL! Do you put a splash of something in that chocolate milk? And I know all about pulling all-nighters with a book - since I did it with one of yours!

Valerie Mann said...

If your child can make a PBJ or pour a bowl of cereal, she's ready to Fend For Herself. I keep frozen pizzas on hand for times like this. When I was a kid, my mom kept pot pies in the freezer for me - I thought it was great, LOL!

Valerie Mann said...

Beth - we need a movie night and keep you out past 10 pm. Call me :-)

Jaime Samms said...

Around here, the kids wold have to be gone, too, before I had that kind of freedom, but I think you've pretty much covered the list for me. I might do something crazy like be an complete barbarian and buy pink wine. There's a chance the top of his head would fly off if he had to be in the house at the same time as something that trashy.