Wednesday 5 January 2011

Irresponsible Dog Owners




Let’s talk about dog’s shit, shall we? Sorry to be blunt, but there you have it, the subject of today’s rant.

Over the Christmas period we had a lot of snowfall here. So much that it must have made dog owners just a tad bit forgetful. In the summer, they do the good thing and clean up their dog’s mess when they’re taking them for a walk, using scoops and shit bags, for want of a better term, and depositing it in the many poo bins provided. However, in the snow...hmmm, it seems it’s okay to let their dog shat in it, the owner walking away because hey, it’s snowing, and the fresh fall will cover the evidence. Do they not think what happens to that shat once the snow effing MELTS? Evidently not, or they don’t care if they do.

I walked to town this morning after dropping the little one at school and played Dodge the Dog Crap, an irritating game that you can sometimes lose if there’s so much mess on the ground you end up stepping in it. I was appalled by the amount there and disgusted with the dog owners for reneging on their responsibility just because of snow.

For the record, I’d just like to say: For those of you who did that, you are arseholes.

End rant.

13 comments:

Tess MacKall said...

I'm glad I live out in the country with a lot of wooded area and a whole lot of acres. My dogs can poop till their little pea pickin' hearts are content and I don't have to use a pooper scooper and deal with a hot plastic baggie full of it.

ev said...

If it's not in my backyard then they go to the woods at the end of the road. Sometimes they use the road in the winter but the plows just throw it into the woods. I do clean up tho when I take them camping or to the park. I know by spring my backyard will be an unholy mess and I will need to call one of those companies to come and clean it up for me. Oh well.

Emmy Ellis said...

That's cool, Tess. It's the public paths that get me mad.

:o)

Emmy Ellis said...

We don't have plows here that do that, Ev, unfortunately. Wish we did!

:o)

Jaime Samms said...

Just one of the many reasons cats are better than dogs. At least it's all in one place and I'm the only one who has to live with the consequences of failing to clean it up. When it's in my space, guess how often that failure occurs? Dog owners figure thay can walk away and it's no longer their problem. Bah!

Emmy Ellis said...

Sods they are, Jaime!

:o)

C. Zampa said...

You tell 'em, Sarah!
And you're right! How very, very rude!

Emmy Ellis said...

It's GROSS, CZ!

:o)

James L. Hatch said...

I fished crab out of Tenakee Springs, AK one year, and that was a big beef up there too. The stuff freezes in winter, melts in spring, and the residents can hardly breathe! AK dogs are, of course, manly dogs--large and full of crap. Come to think of it, many of their owners were too.

Nickie Asher said...

Which is why I'm a cat person. Yeah, I have to clean the box, but I don't have to carry it around in a little baggie. Gross!

Cassie Exline said...

That's why I love my beta fish. lol But I do understand, my office building is on main street and it's shocking that people will let their dogs poo on the sidewalk where we walk. No snow here(yet). Or worst the nasty little bugger leaves his calling card in our tiny flower bed which is at the front door. Disgusting! Granted it's too cold for flowers but I don't want to see a pile of dog poop either.

Marci Baun said...

Damn you, Sarah, you stole one of my topics for my week! (g) Back to the drawing board. See, I walk through a dirt alley to take my daughter to school. People walk their dogs through that alley and let them shit there without picking up after them. You know, you don't want dog shit in your yard, I don't want it in mine or public places. Matter of fact, Monday when it rained, I ended up with shit on my shoe because of some irresponsible dog owner. I'd like to gather up all that shit, find the person (or people) leaving it and pile it up on their front porches. Or better yet, leave shit all over the pathway up to their door, so much shit that they can't avoid it. (g)

BTW, in Los Angeles, a dog owner can get a pretty hefty fine for not cleaning up after their pet.

Marci Baun said...

BTW, a month or so ago, I went to pick up my daughter and saw this guy walking his dog. It was dark out, although not that late (5-ish). He dog did his thing, and guess what he did? Yup. He left it there. If I hadn't had some one on my tail (stopping would have caused an accident,) I would have stopped to let him have it. They dont want it in their yard or house. What makes people think we want it where we can "discover" it?